|Fall Creek Jct. to Hampton, Circa 1952|
Excavating for the Lost Creek Fill at Milepost 605.25. For more information about this structure, refer to the table below.
At Milepost 601.7, the dam was to cross the SP mainline which was at an elevation of 737 feet above sea level. Normal pool elevation was to be 920 feet. The federal Government, through the Army Corp of Engineers, relocated the mainline between MP 589.02, just railroad west of Hampton, and MP 611.08, (Fall Creek Jct.).
This construction project required building bridges at MP 611.91, MP 611.30, MP 611.16, MP 601.66, MP 590.0, and a large fill over the Lost Creek Valley at MP 605.25.. In addition, 6 new siding were built: Dougren, Trent, Dexter, Minnow, Crale, and Hampton. Trent and Dexter sidings have been removed, only the grade exists today.
August 1952 saw the first rail traffic to use the new line. Shortly after, the tracks between Fall Creek and MP 589 were removed. The last remaining track From Fall Creek Jct. to Hills was removed from service in 2001, and the Mainline switch was removed.
Use this table to view photos for each of the 6 structures built on the new route.
Welcome to Joel's Southern Pacific in The Cascades! If you were directed to this portion of the webpage from an outside source, such as a different webpage, then please click the photo below to go the SP in The Cascades home page.
© Joel Ashcroft